- This event has passed.
Autism- Understand it, Respond to it, and Improve Outcomes – Jackson, NJ
Autism- Understand it, Respond to it, and Improve Outcomes
The Autistic population continues to grow at unprecedented rates. This course is designed to provide attendees with an increased understanding of Autism. This will include its prevalence in society, and possible reasons for the increases in diagnosed cases. To provide for improved encounter outcomes, students will obtain information regarding the identification of and interaction with Autistic individuals. Additionally, through the presentation of relevant information and research, students will broaden their understanding of this condition and its potential impacts on how they should respond.
- Know the prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and potential reasons for the continuing increase in diagnostic frequency
- Define ASD and what is meant by “on the spectrum”
- Identify characteristics, symbols, jewelry, tags or devices that might indicate a subject is Autistic
- List potential reasons law enforcement may come into contact with Autistic individuals
- Understand Autistic behaviors and how they might complicate the law enforcement response
- Define comorbidity, its prevalence in ASD, and how it might complicate the law enforcement response
- Identify various communication methods used by Autistic individuals and how to communicate with those who are non-verbal
- Utilize physical and verbal tactics to de-escalate situations involving Autistic individuals
- Know the various resources available to resolve situations involving Autistic individuals
Duration: 1-Day (8-Hours)
Equipment Required: None